Saturday, April 5, 2008

grizzly man and cave paintings

I do not think that there was really any religion in what the grizzly man was doing. It seemed to me like he was just trying to connect with nature because he had so many problems in his life when he tried to live in the real world. In the wild things are so much more simple and I think if someone was as frustrated as Tim was with his failed career it makes sense that he would turn to something that would not make him feel like a failure.
As for the cave paintings, I do not believe that they are religious either, but I think that they are important in the study of religion. The act of representing oneself artistically shows a bit of understanding about the world one lives in and, as we mentioned in class, an understanding of ones self. I think that this would be the time that human became people and became more contemplative than simply doing what needed to be done to survive. Once they have reached that level of thinking, they can begin to ask why they exist and answer this question with religion. Thus, I believe that the cave paintings are not themselves religious, but instead, the point in time when religion may have first begun.

No comments: